Corinne Austin | Personal Training

We Just Need to Stop Making Excuses and Do It

We get only one chance at life. We only get one body to use for that one chance at life. That is one solitary body in which to live our entire life. We should be treating our bodies like they’re a royal palace. The truth is that many of us are still treating our bodies like they’re a rubbish dump. And that makes me really uncomfortable, but yet more determined that every to change our attitudes.

Ultimately, we need to change our attitudes to exercise, to eating, and to our health in general. We need to stop the excuses and get real. There is never going to be a magic pill. There is never going to be a better time. And there is certainly never going to be more time.

To put it bluntly (and to cull the excuses I hear):

  1. You DO have the time; you just need to become more wise about what you are prioritizing in the time that you do have.
  2. You CAN enjoy exercise; you just need to keep trialing the huge abundance of exercise varieties out there to understand the type of exercise that your body needs and enjoys.
  3. You are NOT too big or too old; seeking advice from an experienced fitness professional or Personal Trainer will enable you to discover that there is indeed exercise modalities you can embark upon today.
  4. Injuries and medical conditions are reasons (NOT excuses) to exercise; using a myriad of health professionals (physiotherapist, GP, Personal Trainer) you have the potential of reducing (or even potentially eradicating) your current injury or condition.
  5. Exercise does NOT cost much; in actual fact, it can be free. You don’t need gym memberships or group fitness classes – use your body as your gym.
  6. You may feel too tired but exercise WILL re-energise you; I know and guarantee it will. And this is one that still surprises me. Exercise can sometimes feel like the last thing I feel like doing, but afterwards, I will alive and wonderful.

Our attitudes can often also be more detrimental, to our health, than complimentary. It is not uncommon for people to say “I don’t have the motivation” or “I’ve lost my mojo”. This is simply, and only, in our heads. Motivation is born in the mind. It is a product of our self-talk. If we say we’ve lost our motivation it can often be because our negative self-talk and banter has outweighed the positive. Change your words; change your world. Find yourself a reason to be excited. Use lots of positive, happy, and optimistic words. See the world as a great place to be. And watch your motivation be re-born as a result. Sure others can help to motivate you, but the biggest driving force comes from within. It is the intrinsic factor.

I’m certainly not Miss Perfect. I don’t do everything right all of the time. And I don’t expect anyone else to either. It’s about getting the balance right. If you do things really well 80% of the time, then you can allow yourself to relax and enjoy the naughtier indulgences in life the other 20% of the time.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – just do it, before it’s too late. Don’t let retrospect gnaw at you. Do things now, start TODAY. Step out of that comfort zone, and experience some magic!

For comments email